The history of Tiko: Get to know about the Tiko municipality.

TIKO, originally called ‘KEKA’ by the Bakwerians, is a town and important port in the Southwest region of Cameroon. The settlement grew as a market town for Duala (or Douala) fishermen, Bakweri (Kpwe people) farmers and hunters from Molyko, Bwenga, Bulu and Bokova.

Tiko means “exchange” in the Bakweri dialect. Tiko and Likomba area were originally hunting ground for one hunter from Molyko called Joke Malisonge. He discovered the place in the late 18th century and used to come and stay there for about three months hunting. At times he came along with his family and would exchange meat for fish from Edjo people.

Other hunters, farmers and fishermen also discovered the area and started coming there to exchange their products. Some of them started settling there and by 1903, after the settlement had grown. The first settlers in the area were Bakweri hunters and farmers from Molyko, Bwenga, Bulu and Bokova and fishermen from Douala.

In 1911, the Tiko City was formally created by the Germans, who gave 300 hectares of land with rule durations to some 35 Douala and Bakweri families. In 1922, the Tiko native Council was created under Chief Joke Nasoa though administered by the Victoria Federated Native Authority.

Prior to 1922, there were two councils in Tiko:

  1. The Tiko Group Council for Natives, and
  2. The Tiko City Council for Immigrants

Both Councils were later fused and reorganized in 1928. Following the 1948 Native Authority re-organization, the Tiko Group Council was considered part of the Victoria Federated Native Authority.

In 1952, it was reorganized as a subordinate Native Authority with its own Chairman and 28 councilors.

This was followed by other reorganizations

  • In 1958 as the Tiko District Council,
  • In 1966 as the Tiko Area Council and
  • In 1977, as the Tiko Rural Council.

It is worth noting that, in 1971 the Tiko Area Council was endowed with a Subdivision, which was extended in 1975. On June 29 th , 1977 it was renamed as the Tiko Rural Council covering the entire Tiko Sub-division by presidential decree No. 77/20

Between 1977 and 1996 the membership of the Council rose from 35 to 41 Councilors while the population was over 65.000 inhabitants. In 2004 it was transformed into the Tiko Council by virtue of Law No. 018/2004 of 22 nd July 2004

Bounded to the West by Limbe 1 and 3 Councils, to the North by the Buea council, to the North-East by Muyuka Council, to the East by the Dibombari council in Moungo Division and to the South by Bonaberi council.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is Copyright Protected!